Here are some helpful hints for dealing with hard water:
- Leave a squeegee in the shower to clean the walls and shower door after each use.
- Remove hard water deposits from glass and plumbing fixtures using distilled vinegar and a soft cloth.
- For plugged shower heads, fill a plastic bag with vinegar and attach it to the shower head with a rubber band and let it sit overnight.
- Use distilled water for steam irons and automobile batteries (if applicable) to extend their life.
- Consult manufacturer recommendations for dishwashers, clothes washers, and coffee makers for use with moderately hard water.
- For bathroom cleaning, laundry, or kitchen applications, use detergents that include a phrase like “works in hard water” on the label.