The Longview Fire Department wants to remind residents that fire safety is important year-round, and especially during the holiday season.
“Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, with more than three times the daily average for these kinds of incidents. Christmas Day and Christmas Eve are a close second and third”, said Longview Fire Marshal Jon Dunaway. “It’s important that you keep an eye on what you are cooking, especially on the stovetop” he said.
Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in cooking fires and fire deaths causing just over half (53%) of all reported fires in the home, nearly 40% of the home fire injuries and is the leading cause of home fire deaths.
Following these safety tips can help prevent cooking-related fires and injuries:
• Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop.
• Stay in your home when cooking in your oven - and check it frequently.
• Keep children at least 3 feet from the stove to prevent burn injuries.
• Keep anything that can catch fire (oven mitts, food packaging, towels, etc.) away from your
• Turn pot handles toward the back of the stovetop to prevent them from being reached by
• If you are going to deep fry a turkey, be sure the turkey is completely thawed. Fry the turkey in a device manufactured for that purpose and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Deep fry the turkey outside on a sturdy, non-combustible, level surface well away from things that can burn. Determine the correct amount of oil needed by first placing the turkey in the pot with water. An overfilled cooking pot will cause oil to spill over when the turkey is placed inside, resulting in a fire.
Keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when you’re cooking on the stovetop to smother small grease fires. Smother a small fire by simply sliding the lid over the pan and be sure to turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
If you have a fire inside the oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you or your clothing. After a fire, the oven should be serviced before being used again.
“Don’t let a fire ruin the holidays with your family and loved ones. Practice these fire safety tips and be sure your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are in working order”, Dunaway reminded.