The City of Longview would like to remind residents that while conducting a garage sale does not require a permit, garage sales are a regulated activity within city limits. Sales of secondhand merchandise conducted from residences and designated as garage sales, estate sales, yard sales, and/or moving sales are allowed without a permit provided they are conducted under the following requirements:
• Residents may conduct garage, estate, yard and/or moving sales from their residence for
up to 20 days in a calendar year. Each sales event may not exceed four consecutive days,
and goods must be removed from public view between sales.
• No sale shall begin before 8:00 a.m. or continue beyond 9:00 p.m.
• No goods or merchandise shall be offered for sale that are not owned and used by the
persons conducting the sale.
• No more than four residences may combine merchandise in the sale.
• Garage sale signs shall not be placed more than six blocks or 2,400 feet from the
location of the sale, within the right-of-way without the adjoining property owner’s
permission, within the right-of-way along a state route (such as Ocean Beach Hwy., 1st
and 3rd Avenues, Industrial Way, Tennant Way, etc..) and these signs shall not be placed
on utility poles, trees, medians, or other devices located within the public right-of-way.
• Signs may be put up as many as two days prior to the scheduled event and must be
removed within 24-hours after the event has concluded. Failure to do so can result in a
Questions about garage sales may be directed to the Code Compliance Division at 360-442-
5093 or 360-442-5094 Monday through Thursday between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.