City Regulations Regarding Recreational Marijuana Land Uses

On February 27, 2014, the Longview City Council unanimously adopted Ordinance No. 3262 which amends the zoning code to address recreational marijuana land uses that are allowed by Washington State Initiative 502. The ordinance becomes effective on April 4, 2014. It was based upon Longview Planning Commission recommendations. 

The zoning code regulations will allow recreational marijuana retail outlets to locate in five zoning districts. They are:

  • Central Business District
  • Regional Commercial District
  • General Commercial District
  • Mixed Use - Office/Commercial District
  • Mixed Use - Commercial/Industrial District

Recreational marijuana producers and processors will be allowed to locate in four zoning districts. They are: 

  • Mixed Use - Commercial/Industrial District
  • Light Industrial - A District
  • Light Industrial - B District
  • Heavy Industrial District

In addition to the above zoning district restrictions, no recreational marijuana land use can be located within a residential district or within any residence. Also, no recreational marijuana land use can be located within 250 feet of a residential zoning district or within 250 feet of a RV, trailer, or mobile home park. Growing recreational marijuana outdoors is prohibited. A link to the Ordinance Number 3262 is given below. Please see the ordinance for all of the changes to the zoning code related to recreational marijuana.

The City-adopted buffers are in addition to the buffers required by Initiative 502. Under I-502 no recreational marijuana producer, processor or retail outlet can be located within 1,000 feet of an elementary or secondary school, playground, recreational center or facility, child care center, public park, public transit center, library, or any game arcade where admission is not restricted to persons age twenty-one or older. The Washington State Liquor Control Board is the agency responsible for determining whether an application is within those buffers or not. Below is a link to a map showing the City’s buffers and the City’s interpretation of the I-502 buffers.

For more information contact Steve Langdon, Planning Manager. His phone number is (360) 442-5083 and his email address is

Important Links:

Last updated: 3/22/2018 8:49:11 AM