September 27 City Council Meeting in brief
• Accepted a donation by the Longview Masonic Lodge of a framed print of Gilbert Stuart’s 1796 portrait of George Washington, to be hung in the Longview Public Library,
• Issued a proclamation for National Fire Prevention Week, October 7 – 13.
• Issued Life Saving awards to Trevor Brunelle, Justin Noel, and Jim Trussell for saving the life of an individual fishing on the river.
• Directed the city manager to declare a civil emergency and take actions regarding recent threats to persons and property in the city related to persons experiencing homelessness.
• Appointed Councilors Vydra, Makinster, and Botero as a council committee to study, advise, and make recommendations regarding the civil emergency and the factors contributing to the situation.
• Approved the recommendation of the Longview Lodging Tax Advisory Committee to distribute lodging tax revenue to various organizations.
• Approved Ordinance No. 3388 amending LMC 5.05 “Business and Occupation Tax” to comply with new state regulations.
• Authorized a professional engineering contract with Kittelson & Associates to perform evaluation and design services for traffic signal improvements on 15th Avenue and on Washington Way.
• Set a public hearing for the city council meeting on November 1 to consider revenue sources for the 2019 General Fund budget.
• Accepted a federal SAFER grant to hire 3 firefighter/paramedics.
• Adopted an update to the Longview Revolving Loan Fund Plan to meet federal Economic Development Administration requirements.