August 24 City council Meeting in brief
• Issued a proclamation for Dorothy Gevers-Wojtowych Day on August 24, 2017 to honor her philanthropic deeds, service on the Columbia Theatre for the Performing Arts Board, and support for the arts in Longview.
• Issue a proclamation for Suicide Awareness and Prevention Month – September 2017.
• Longview Outdoor Gallery gave a presentation regarding eight new sculptures being placed in downtown Longview on September 9.
• Directed the city attorney to prepare an ordinance amending the comprehensive plan and zoning maps for property on Ocean Beach Highway near Mt. Solo Road.
• Directed the planning commission to consider allowing personal services businesses in the Riverfront District and report back to the city council with recommendations within 90 days.
• Directed staff to evaluate installing a mid-block pedestrian crossing on 30th Avenue, and to evaluate signal modifications at 3rd Avenue and Hudson Street to improve pedestrian safety, and report back to the city council with recommendations by Dec. 14.
• Approved Ordinance No. 3356 implementing recent changes in state law regarding public records disclosure.
• Approved Resolution No. 2231 extending the franchise agreement with Comcast.
• Approved Resolution No. 2232 authorizing an interlocal agreement with the National Purchasing Partners for cooperative purchases of public safety vehicles and equipment.
• Approved Resolution No. 2233 authorizing an interlocal agreement with Cowlitz County for bridge inspection services.
• Approved Resolution No. 2234 authorizing an interlocal agreement with Cowlitz County for 2017 Justice Assistance Grant funding to be used towards the Longview School Officer Program.
• Approved Resolution No. 2235 repealing Resolution No. 2005 and the City’s E-Verify policy.
• Set a public hearing for the September 14, 2017 city council meeting to conduct a 2017-2018 Mid-Biennial Budget Review.
• Awarded a contract in the amount of $766,501.43 to J.H. Kelly for construction of the second floor remodel of the Longview Police Station.
• Authorized use of the Public Safety Fund to complete fencing modifications at the Longview Police Station parking structure to comply with the Fire Code.
• Authorized staff to solicit bids and use the Public Safety Fund to repair the Longview Police Station parking structure.