News Review
National Night Out Street Closure Permit Deadlines
Posted Date: 5/18/2017
Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha is encouraging neighborhood groups to hold National Night Out parties on Tuesday, Aug 1, 2017.

National Night Out, promoted by the National Association of Town Watch, is an annual celebration for communities occurring on the first Tuesday in August. It is an opportunity for communities to “say good-bye to crime,” and bring attention to crime and drug prevention awareness, and generate support in anti-crime efforts, such as the Block Watch program. Neighborhoods are encouraged to have barbecues, potlucks or other activities to allow for visiting with neighbors.

Neighborhood groups wanting to hold block parties should apply for a Special Use Permit if they plan to close their streets for National Night Out activities. There is no fee for a Special Use Permit (for a simple block party), but paperwork must be turned in at least 60 days (June 1, 2017) before a first time event. Groups that have held the event the previous year must turn in their permit paperwork at least 30 days in advance (July 5, 2017).

Special Use Permit applications are available online at or at Longview City Hall, 1525 Broadway St., or at the Longview Police Department Highlands Satellite Office, 216 30th Ave., Suite C.

Completed Special Use Permits must be turned in at the engineering department at City Hall, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday.

Neighborhood groups who are planning National Night Out activities and would like representatives of the Longview Police Department to participate are asked to contact Cpl. Jenkins at 442-5883, or, by July 17, 2017.